Friday, June 12, 2020

Closing a Chapter


My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plants’ point of view.
– H. Fred Dale, Toronto Star garden writer and author of Fred Dale’s Garden Book, 1972

My blogging pen has been silent for a little while. Not that I haven’t been busy gardening. We have been busy moving. A new to us garden and house in a different city, but still in the Pacific Northwest. Since it’s a rainy morning today, I decided it was a good time to catch you up in my world.

I’ve been taking lots of pictures to show you of the new-to-me garden and the changes I am making, but haven’t taken time away from it to type up any posts.

As a start to the life transition and the turn this blog will take featuring the new garden, I thought I’d use this post as a recap and culmination of my previous garden. This first picture is of the weedy, grassy yard as it was when I bought that house, 34 years ago.




I was excited to buy my very first home all those years ago! Before this picture was taken the grass and dandelions were knee high and the shrubs were taller than me and sprawling every-which-way. You can read more about it in this earlier post. Over the years the garden ideas, successes and failures came and went, providing much education and the experiences for this blog.


This is the same yard today, pictured from roughly the same angle. All that grass gone, replaced by stone patio, retaining walls and plants, plants, and more plants! The garden now wraps around the whole house on a 5000 square foot urban lot. But you get an idea of what came out and what went in.






The posts to follow will be of my new yard. It is a tad larger sporting 9000 square feet.

Stay tuned! And thanks for reading.

In bloom in my garden today: roses, lavender, hardy geranium, cape fuchsia, heuchera, iris, nepeta, daisy, solanum crispum, wigela,

Author’s photos




No comments: