Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's Fair Time!

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me, and I may not remember. Involve me, and I'll understand.
~Native American Saying


One of the many fun things beekeepers get to do is volunteer to share their enthusiasm for bees with others. And in my experience, the beekeepers booth at the local county fair is hard to beat. Every year my dad and I volunteer at our local beekeeping club’s booth for a few hours for a couple days. It’s a hit with school kids and adults alike. The kids are the most enthusiastic, so eager to learn and see the queen. There is always an observation frame with bees and a queen going about their business so people can see first hand what it’s all about and what goes on inside the hive. Some are afraid of bees when they get there, but usually are no longer afraid when they leave.




In the 'box' the kids are looking at a frame of bees and their queen.  It is ventilated, and we put honey and water in daily for feed.  The frame is changed out with new bees and queen from a different hive every other day so as not to stress out the bees.  The bees are not harmed by this.






If your county fair is awesome enough to have a beekeeping booth, please stop by and learn all you can about honey bees. I think you’ll be fascinated.

In Bloom In My Garden Today: ajuga, colchicum, hardy geranium, primorse, schizostylus, pumpkin 'Baby Boo', tomato, basil, oregano, zucchini, cucumber, black mondo grass, lavender, borage, veronica, fushia, rose, nepeta, salvia, russian sage, Daphne caucasica ‘Eternal Fragrance’ and ‘Summer Ice’, echinacea, liatris, coryopsis, caryopteris, begonia, alyssum, lobelia, heather, hosta, gallardia, Star Jasmine, anise hyssop, gaura

Author's photos

6 comments:

Cindy said...

That is PERFECT.
I LOVE that you do that (and get to share it with your Dad too).

It's events like this, that can really spark interest in kids, and make inpressions on them for the future!

I wish I could have come by and checked it out!

:)

Joan said...

I can't tell you how much fun it is, Cindy! We look forward to it every year.

I would have loved to meet you there too! Perhaps your local fair has a booth too.

Thanks for reading!

Shari B. (FitFeat) said...

I still think you need to write a fiction series about Father/Daughter beekeeping team and their adventures. Even if it's a children's book! I'm less scared of bees now from having been a reader of your blog.

And the other day when I was out for a walk, we saw a bee stuck on his back on the sidewalk, looking like he couldn't right himself. So I took a stick and let him grab onto it, then set him in the grass so he wouldn't be run over by a bike on the path. (I just did that last night too with a baby snake!!)

I think it's a GREAT service you are doing to help kids understand and not be scared! How fun!

Joan said...

Hi Shari!

Writing a book or series is a great idea! I never thought of myself as a writer...maybe I should take a class or something.

And I love that you righted a bee and snake! I do that too but more with worms that won't make it across the dry sidewalk before they dry out too. I'd have to really steele myself to do it for a snake but if it was a baby and it promised not give me a snake-y lick I'd do it for it too! :)

Thanks for reading!

Cindy said...

Me n JJ save bees DAILY. And spiders and caterpillars....we are bug rescue services...

makese me so happy!

YES, Joan...get a dehydrator and write killer bee stories (haha..get it??)

I'll buy JJ all of them!
xo

Joan said...

Yay for saving the bugs! They were created for a reason and we need 'em.

Cindy, JJ will be playing for stage concerts by the time I get books written...maybe for your grandchildren? Thanks for the encouragement!